Tue 1st Oct 2019
Dudley Latham Memorial (Premier Division) Cup - First Round
Aylesbury Vale Dynamos 1-4 TAFC First team

TAFC goals: Louie Collier (3), Connor Blake
Athletic advance through to the second round of the Premier Division Cup recovering from conceding an early goal to run out as winners on a wet windy evening in Aylesbury.




June earlier this year. Let me take you into the inner sanctum TAFCs Monthly Executive Committee Meeting and the old gits look worried. 14 players from last seasons squad have moved on. On top of that, we have lost our well-respected manager and are struggling to replace him.
One brave committee member offers the view that, this might be a season of consolidation. The Chairmans reply is quick and to the point, I dont do consolidation. And he has some good news. He has interviewed a promising candidate from Essex with a Romanian sounding name, who has promised to bring along a high-quality group of players with him, if appointed. Further debate follows and then a decision, The only way is Essex. A bold step for a club which has strong local roots and a policy of promoting from within the ranks. The Committee has a meet and greet with Kevin and give him a hard time. But we are impressed with his enthusiasm, his straight talking and his ambition. Wil it work? Time would tell.
Time has told, and Kevins achievements have been amazing. The player group, of which he is justifiably proud, is talented, well-disciplined and highly committed. The management and coaching team have gelled and seem to share ideas in a consultative style. Nine wins on the spin are testament to all these factors.
Tonight was yet another cracking performance, although the never-satisfied boss assessment was not good enough! It was a foul night and the swirling wind and rain in the first half, blowing into our faces, made good football difficult. So many of Ben Johnsons crosses sailed over the cross bar that even his dad was getting exasperated!
We were caught cold in the 2nd minutes when Aylesbury took the lead but, because of the undoubted firepower we have in our squad, the Tring Army seemed more surprised that we should concede in the manner we did rather than worried that we might not be able to recover.
We scored three times between the 42nd and 48th minutes. Connor Blake curled a delicious left footer in to the corner, Louie lashed in the second after 44, and then forced the defender into an error at the start of the second half and we suddenly found ourselves 3-1 up.
After this we somewhat lost our rhythm and the game became disjointed. Aylesbury fought hard and some of our defending became a little sloppy but all was forgiven with Louies third goal in the 82nd minute and indeed the majestic Louie nearly netted his fourth shortly after this, only to push his shot wide.
Special mentions tonight go to the two Connors who continue to fly the flag in our team for local talent. In fact, we had 5 of our starters tonight with HP postcodes which is really important to us in giving us balance.
We are back in league action on Saturday, with a home fixture against Eynesbury Rovers in what should be a tough encounter against a top 4 side.

Team: Charlie Mann, Ben Johnson, Connor Church, Jay Lovell, Jacob Carter, Phil Lowen, Connor Blake (Luke Dunstan 45), Mulik Rickman (Max Mitchell 55), Charncey Dash, Dan Ferigno (Frazer John 55), Louie Collier.

(No photos on file)

To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com