Sat 7th Sep 2019
Spartan South Midlands Premier Division
Crawley Green 2-4 TAFC First team

TAFC goals: Daniel Ferrigno (2), Charncey Dash (pen), Oran Swales

We know from our own painful experience earlier in the season that you cant win a match with only 9 players on the field. Crawley Greens lack of discipline, which resulted in a sending off and a sin bin dismissal, as well as 2 other cautions, significantly contributed to their downfall. On the contrary, we held our discipline and played the match with an intelligent approach arguably the difference between the two sides and surely a lesson for the rest of our season.
Todays game wasnt quite the emotional roller-coaster as last seasons 3-4 encounter but it was a decent game, with lots of attacking threats from both sides. It was apparent from the start that Crawleys big centre forward, Ollie Ajigbolamu was going to be a handful and so it proved in the 8th minute when he latched on to a ball through our central defence and thumped it into the net (1-0).
We were inclined to play the ball too long, not taking into account the strength of the wind behind us, although Max Mitchell was putting in some nice touches in his deep-lying, flexible role. It was no real surprise when we equalised in the 25th minute because wed looked dangerous with good efforts from Chris Vardy and Dash. The equaliser was a penalty for a foul on Tommy Fletcher, coolly dispatched by Dash (1-1).
Chances at both ends over the next 15 minutes with Charlie saving us on more than one occasion with good use of the feet. The woodwork also saved us once but at the other end Dash went close.
The next goal was Crawley Greens on the 39th minutes as their tricky winger, Phil Draycott cut in from the left, crossed for Sam Holmes to poke the ball past Charlie (2-1).
Minutes later Dash was booked for simulation resulting from a coming together in their penalty area. Most onlookers felt this was harsh on our centre forward. Amidst this episode, Crawleys Tyler Ingham was cautioned for displaying an aggressive attitude.
In the final action of the first half there was an altercation between Chris Vardy and Ajigbolamu (pick on someone your own size Chris!), resulting in a caution for both. This was to have significant ramifications later in the game.

Half Time Crawley Green 2 Tring Athletic 1.

Within 5 minutes of the restart Crawley were down to 10 men as Ajigbolamu dived in to a challenge recklessly and was shown his second yellow. This proved to be a game changer as, from then on, we were in the ascendency. On the hour mark, we equalised with a glorious goal from Jay Lovell. It came from a corner, won by Ben Johnson, and taken by Max Mitchell. Jay volleyed the ball directly from the corner, showing great technique and giving the keeper no chance as it crashed in to the back of the net (2-2)
The wind was now in our sails and you could see only one winner and unsurprisingly within 2 minutes we took the lead with another high quality goal as Daniel Ferrigno turned on to a pass from Max and fired home (3-2). Luke Dunstan almost increased our lead with a mazy dribble in the box.
Debutant Louie Collyer replaced Max and in the 30 minutes he played he showed that he will be a real asset. The 10 men went down to 9 as ex Tring Athletic player Chris Crook was cautioned for dissent and sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes. On 70, we went further ahead when Dash put in Daniel with a clever flick and Daniel made no mistake (4-2). At this stage it was game over and you sensed that both teams lost a little shape and focus. Ben nearly capped another fine game with a goal, hitting the post when it seemed easier to score and we sensed blood. But credit to Crawley as, in the face of adversity, they kept on coming and only a goal line clearance from Jay and a save with the feet by Charlie stopped us from having a nervous last few minutes. Jo Naylor and Mulik Rickman replaced Luke and Oran Swales as Kevin rang the changes late on.

Well done boys for another comprehensive win, our fourth on the spin with 17 goals bagged. Onwards to Biggleswade and keep up the good discipline lads!

Team: Charlie Mann, Ben Johnson, Chris Vardy, Phillip Lowen, Tommy Fletcher, Jay Lovell, Luke Dunstan (Mulik Rickman 80 mins), Daniel Ferrigno, Charncey Dash, Max Mitchell c (Louie Collier 60 mins), Oran Swales (Jo Naylor 80 minutes). Not used Jack Sunderland.
Att. 50
Report taken from Crawley Green Website

Send off changes the game
Spartan South Midlands League
Premier Division
Saturday 07 Sep 19
Crawley Green FC 2 v Tring Athletic FC 4

The controversial sending off of Crawley's Oluwanimilo Ajigbolamu (Nimi) after 52 minutes with The Maroons leading 2-1 completely changed the game which the visitors went on to win 2-4.

The first half was end to end and Crawley's Dean Bull was quickly into action as he saved well from Oran Swales. Crawley replied with a Sam Pemberton cross which Aaron Morgan knocked into the side netting and on 9 minutes they took the lead.

Sam Holmes put Nimi through and the big centre forward lashed the ball past Charlie Mann to make it 1-0.

Bull was quickly in action again with a sharp saved to deny Daniel Ferrigno and Holmes then went close for Crawley with a shot that fizzed past Mann's right hand post.

After Nimi blasted over from a corner Bull made another good save from a Max Mitchell free kick. As the ball was cleared the Referee awarded a hotly disputed penalty against Sam Pemberton and Chancey Dash lashed the ball past Bull to make it 1-1.

Back came Crawley with a fierce shot from Holmes which was brilliantly saved by Mann. Holmes then set up Phil Draycott but his shot was blocked. Dash went close for the visitors before Crawley regained the lead after 39 minutes. Draycott was played in by Nimi and his cross was turned in by Holmes to make it 2-1. On the stroke of half time Tyler Ingham scythed down Dash in the box but amazingly the Referee booked Dash for simulation.

A severe case of Assessoritis saw the Referee brandish 5 first half yellow cards in a game which had been played in a good spirit. The consensus of opinion over a half-time cup of tea was that it would be a miracle if both teams finish with 11 men.

At the start of the second half Mann made another great save to keep out a free kick from Draycott and the half-time prediction of the faithful came to fruition when Nimi received his marching orders after 52 minutes. Following a coming together with Chris Vardy, Nimi was harshly shown a second yellow and the game changed.

Crawley came close to increasing their lead but Mann kept out another Draycott shot before the visitors drew level after 60 minutes. Crawley failed to pick up Jay Lovell at a corner from the right and he volleyed the ball past Bull to make it 2-2.

Three minutes later Tring took the lead when Ferrigno turned in a cross from the right and shortly after Ferrigno made it 2-4 following a 1/2 with Dash.

Crawley then weathered the onslaught as they were reduced to 9 men with a Sin Bin for Mark Bunker. Tring failed to take advantage and after Bunker returned Crawley spurned two chances to level the game. Bunker played in Draycott but he was denied by another cracking save from Mann. Minutes later Draycott and Holmes combined to play in Sam Pemberton but Mann again came to Tring's rescue with another fine save and it finished 2-4.

(No photos on file)

To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com