Sat 30th Oct 2021
Spartan South Midlands Premier Division
Milton Keynes Irish 3-2 TAFC First team

TAFC goals: Kieran Turner, Frankie Hercules


After our morale boosting win in the FA Vase the previous Saturday we came up short against a side that started the season strongly but had seen their form dip in recent weeks with 3 defeats on the trot.

This was our first ever encounter against MK Irish and any hope of getting something out of this game was severely dented by a very poor performance in the first half when we conceded 2 soft goals.

We did improve after the break and reduced the deficit to one goal but we then conceded a third from a set piece and although we scored again it was right at the end of the game and we ran out of time.

Our hosts started strongly and Harrison Cornick had to come to the rescue to stop an early goal. But MK Irish were not to be denied and in the 15th minute Dominic Lawless slotted the ball past keeper Craig Garrett who was standing in for David Saunders. Lawless looked a mile offside because he was in loads of space but evidently someone played him on and we were punished for this sloppy start. Score 1-0.

Kieran Turner did force the home keeper into making a smart save but this was an isolated opportunity as our opponents were well on top. With 5 minutes to go to the break and an opportunity to sort things out we gave away another poor goal when a home player was shoved over in the box and a penalty was awarded. Lawless stepped up and gave Craig Garrett no chance with a well taken spot kick and were staring at another league defeat. HT Score 2-0.

Ryan and his team did manage to generate a reaction during the break and 8 minutes after the restart Kieran Turner showed his leadership by firing home a goal following a short corner. Score 2-1

We started to look a different side now and some lovely play by Kieran Turner presenting Evans Lamboh with a sight of goal but unfortunately his shot cleared the bar. Later Ollie Butler shot over after a good build up but in the 63rd minute we failed to tightly mark the home centre back Scott Dummitt and he punished us by restoring his sides 2 goal lead with a powerful header from a corner. Score 3-1.

We brought on Frankie Hercules and Luke Peerless as well as 16 year old Ali Mohiuddin for his First Team debut and we continue to press forward looking in the vain hope we could get something out of the game.

Our persistence paid off when two minutes into added time we did make another break through when Frankie Hercules headed home a precise Kieran Turner cross but unfortunately we ran out of time and MK Irish finished as deserved winners. FT Score 3-2.

This was the fifth time this season we have lost by just a single goal in the League and that has cost us lots of valuable points. We are three points adrift at the bottom of the table behind Dunstable Town, Crawley Green and Baldock Town with the latter due to visit The Grass Roots Stadium on Saturday. So we have an opportunity to join those above us but we need to start winning games.


MKI:Jack Taylor, Ryan Coyle, Muzaffar Amoako, Scott Dummitt, Ben Ansah, Liam Smyth, Alex Filip, Michael Lyon, George Boland, Oliver Coleman, Dominic Lawless. Subs Used: Stephen Brooks, Jack Clarkson, Ashraf Masumbuko

TA:Craig Garrett, Harrison Cornick, Adam Sawyer, George Carbery, Temi Bankole, Tommy Twelves, Evans Lamboh, Kieran Turner (Capt), John Smith, Manny Gbejuade, Ollie Butler. Subs used: Frankie Hercules (60), Luke Peerless (67), Ali Mohinaddin (79)


MKI:Dominic Lawless (15, 40 Pen), Scott Dummitt (63)

TA:Kieran Turner (53), Frankie Hercules (90+2)


(No photos on file)

To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com