Tue 23rd Jul 2019
TAFC First team 3-0 Hullbridge Sports
Tring played in another pre-season friendly at Grassroots Stadium on Tuesday 23rd July with Hullbridge Sports being the visitors. Despite the 8 oclock kick off it was a very warm evening which led to the referee giving the players a water break midway through each half.
It was Tring who started the better of the two teams, dominating possession without having a clear shot on goal. Striker Chance Dash almost ran on to a through ball, however it was headed clear by the Hullbridge keeper. Dash played through Brett OConnor moments later, however a lack of options in the box meant the attack came to nothing. Tring continued to have the better of the game without really testing the Hullbridge keeper. Hullbridge didnt really look a threat on the attack, however they put a number of strong challenges in on the Tring players, which may well have earnt them a yellow card had the game not been a friendly.
Twenty minutes in, Tring thought they had the lead after a swift counter attack. Captain Max Mitchell crossed onto the head of Dash, who finished into the bottom corner, but the assistants flag went up, in what looked like a close call. The offside call did not deter Tring however, and they continued to play some good football, with Dan Ferrigno firing just wide of the goal. With Hullbridge struggling to get a grip on the game, they continued to put some firm challenges in, and finally a Hullbridge player saw yellow after a poor tackle on Ferrigno. Hullbridge did finally create an attack just before half time with their number 8 firing a fierce shot towards goal which was well saved by Charlie Mann, who quickly recovered and saved the follow up effort as well. At half time the score was still 0-0.
Hullbridge received another booking early in the second half, when Tring would have preferred to have the advantage. A Tring penalty appeal was waved away just moments later after substitute Rickman was bought down by the Hullbridge keeper. The deadlock was finally broken on the hour mark and it was no surprises that Tring took the lead. Another lovely Tring move was finished after a great cross found Dash who controlled a finished past the keeper to make it 1-0.
Very quickly 1-0 became 2-0 and this time the goal was a contender for goal of the season (even if it was in preseason). A foul on Mitchell was taken quickly to Mitchell himself who spotted the Hullbridge keeper off his line and attempted to lob him from around 10 yards inside his own half. The contact was perfect and the back pedalling Hullbridge keeper reacted too late to stop the ball sailing over his head and into the empty net. The Tring players congratulated Mitchell who was very calm in his own celebration.
Despite the two quick goals Tring didnt let their tempo drop despite interruptions in the game through water breaks and substitutions. Brett OConnor came back off the bench and ran past the Hullbridge defence before getting his shot past the keeper but not the post. Luckily Connor Blake was following in well and put the ball into the goal with a simple finish to make it 3-0.
Hullbridge had really started to get frustrated at their ability to create an opening or even complete a number of passes together, and committed more fouls, with another of their players picking up a booking after a really late challenge. They had their best opportunity of the match with 5 minutes to go with a low shot from their striker which was tipped round the post by Mann in the Tring goal. 3-0 was the final score and it was a very well deserved win for Tring who had dominated throughout despite playing against a team at a higher level than themselves.

Report by Matthew Key

(No photos on file)

To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com