Sat 12th Jan 2019
Challenge Cup
Corinthian Casuals 3-1 TAFC Reserve team

TAFC goals: Leslie Barkers-Obua
League Cup 1/4 Final
Corinthian Casuals Res.(1)3 Tring Ath.Res (0)1

Having already beaten 2 Premier Division teams in this competition we arrived full of hope against a side 3rd in that Division.

Having picked up the warm up tops, bought some suitable tape, " borrowed" 16 coat hangers and driven 45 miles to the venue, all of which goes with the territory, my day was spoilt by the man in the middle.

We missed our usual early chances, one through a familiar run into an offside position and one from a poor decision on a pass when a shot was on.
The midfield then allowed their player to take a second touch before scoring with a shot that went straight down the middle of our goal.

On a 3G pitch we understandably took time to adjust and let the bounce beat us and underhit passes and Casuals played some tidy football in midfield with their No 11 outstanding.

Teddie Paul picked up a booking for 3 clumsy fouls, but the turning point came when we were awarded a free kick. Their player stepped forward to stop a quick play Gareth Terblanche takes the kick which is blocked . Their player is booked and then to everyone's amazement he books Gareth for unsporting behaviour for taking the kick before our opponent had retired the pre-requisite distance. This came home to roost when 15 mins later Gareth picked up a second booking which at best was marginal.

We then proceed to some extent understandably, fall out with the match official and Will Foley picks up a booking for a comment.

At half time at 1-0 down and a player short we could easily have given up thea ghost. Instead having substituted Teddie Paul to avoid a second possible sending off we stayed with a back four and after a fairly even 10 mins proceeded to absolutely dominate the game with quality play all over the pitch, although in truth the final ball generally let us down and we didn't overwork their keeper. Les Barkers- Obua picked up a booking for what the Referee saw as a pull back on their player out wide on the left only to 2 minutes later put his whistle to his mouth when the player booked in the Gareth free kick pulled back Connor Blake only to play the advantage and disregard the incident!!!

What next??

From a Joe Naylor free kick we fashioned an equaliser which Les Barkers -Obua squeezed in under the keeper.
Having worked our way back into the tie we then shot ourselves in the foot when Matt Stacey, who had a decent game, trying to find Will Mullarkey at right back only succeeded in finding their centre forward who,finished easily.

We continued to push forward and introduced Frankie Hercules and Chris Clark and the former should have scored with a header on the 6 yard line.

On the break Casuals were then awarded a penalty ( I make no comment ). The tame effort was saved by Luke Priestley and still we pushed for what would have been a deserved equaliser but in the 92 min Casuals killed us off with a 3rd goal.

A long journey home . We need to bounce back at Dunstable Town on Thursday week to stay in the race for a League and Shield double.

L.Priestley.W.Mullarkey (C.Clark).M.Stacey,G.Terblanche.
S.Henderson, J.Naylor,O.Ruttle (F.Hercules), W.Gibson.

(No photos on file)

To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com