Sat 1st Sep 2018
Sponsored by Debbie & Will Dunstan
TAFC First team 7-1 Leighton Town

TAFC goals: Ashton Campbell (2), Elliott Goward (2), Kieran Turner, Tommy Twelves, Jack Read

Athletic had threatened to score a hatful of goals since the start of the season and today saw them achieve that. They were unstoppable every time they attacked and it would not, I believe, be disrespectful to Leighton Town to say they could easily have had goals into double figures.

Prior to the start of the game Carl Mensah was presented with the newly created player of the month, an award that was truly deserved.

Athletic scored their first goal as early as the 5th minute when Ashton Campbell nipped in between a hesitant defender and goalkeeper. Score 1-0.

Just 3 minutes later Kieran Turner scored what probably was the goal of the game. Having played the ball to Alex Campana who then laid the ball back to him, Kieran then curled an exquisite ball around the keeper into the far corner. Score 2-0.

A further 2 minutes had elapsed before Athletic made it 3. A long ball down the right found Kieran Turner who sent in a low cross which Ashton Campbell had a chance with but the ball rebounded out to Tommy Twelves who crashed it home. Score 3-0.

Further chances came and went before Athletic scored their fourth. A tremendous run by Ashton Campbell down the right was followed by a pin point low cross to Elliott Goward who was totally unmarked in front of an open goal. Score 4-0.

Leighton hadnt offered any danger to Athletics defence and keeper Connor Sansom had very little to deal with. Visiting keeper Tom Wyant pulled off a terrific save from Kieran Turner in the 44th minute following good work by Tommy Twelves. In stoppage time Athletic added a fifth goal. A header by Chris Vardy found Ashton Campbell who ran across the face of the penalty area before shooting past the keeper. HT Score 5-0.

Unfortunately for Leighton Town half time brought them little respite.
Just 3 minutes after the re-start Athletic scored again. From a corner the ball was cleared but Elliott Goward was on hand to score with a powerful shot from around 25 yards. Score 6-0.

Still Athletic created chances and keeper Tom Wyant pulled off a couple of saves when in one on one situations. Substitutions were made by both sides. Athletics defence were easily containing any threat by Leighton Town and keeper Connor Sansom was virtually a spectator. Alex Campana was seeing a lot of the ball, he had a shot cleared off the line and created numerous chances for others.

Leighton Town did score in the 71st minute. Athletics Elliott Goward was off the field injured, and with Athletic having used all their substitutes allowed Leighton Town access down the right. The ball was crossed into the area and the ball pinged around the goal before falling to Tom Bryant to blast home. Score 6-1.

Elliott did come back on after lengthy treatment. The game was exceptional due to the number of clear chances Athletic were continually creating, and but for keeper Tom Wyant making some excellent saves the score remained the same until the 86th minute when Jack Read was played through and he confidently shot past Tom Wyant. FT Score 7-1.

A tremendous game and result for Athletics players,management and their supporters with credit to all involved showing great awareness,pace and skill throughout.We look forward to their next game away next Saturday against Oxhey Jets.


TA: 1 Connor Sansom 2 Joe Fitzgerald (Ben Johnson 57) 3 Chris Vardy 4 Luke Dunstan 5 Tommy Twelves 6 Carl Mensah 7 Alex Campana 8 Sam Joliffe(c) 9 Ashton Campbell (Jack Read 57) 10 Kieran Turner (Billie Busari 68) 11 Elliott Goward.

LT: 1 Tom Wyant 2 Paolo Baggati (Aaron McKee 26) 3 Matt Hall 4 Brian Foulger (Jamie Nichols 26) 5 David Murphy (c) 6 Junior Muya 7 Lewis McBride 8 Denilson Da Silva (Dom Masala 57) 9 Kelvin Osei-Addo 10 Alex OBrian 11 Tom Bryant.


TA: Campbell (5,45), Goward (20,48), Turner (8), Twelves (10), Read (86)

LT: Bryant (71)

Crowd: 122

The Following report was taken from Leighton Towns Website

Tring Athletic 7 v Leighton Town 1
Unknown (5', 8', 10', 19', 45', 49', 85') T Bryant (71')

Sat 1 Sep 15:00 - Spartan South Midlands Football League - Premier Division - Attendance 122
Town Defeated After Tring Athletic Goal Rush
By Andrew Parker
The Town travelled to The Grassroots Stadium (Cow Lane), to take on an in form Tring Athletic side on Saturday Afternoon.ddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to TwitterShare

The Town lined up in their usual system, with no drastic changes to the side, with Kelvin Osei-Addo returning to league action, as well as Aaron McKee, who was on the bench.
The Town have been notorious for their fast starts this season, but this time it was far from it, quite frankly, it was embarrassing to watch.
Inside 4 minutes, Tring were in front.
Ashton Campbell went through chasing a long ball and miss communication between Wyant and Murphy allowed Campbell to lift the ball over Wyant and into the back of the net.
4 minutes later, the lead was doubled by Athletic.
Trings playmaker Kieran Turner was given far too much space on the right side of the penalty area and he curled a strike sublimely into the top left corner, beating Wyant all ends up. 2-0.
Things just went from bad to worse for The Town, as 2 minutes later, it was 3.
A scrappy goal mouth scramble was reportedly bundled over the line by Jack Read, making the game seem over after 10 minutes had been played at Cow Lane.
Tring would then miss a huge chance to make it 4. Alex OBrien was disposed in the centre of the park by Turner and he drove forward without either of the Town centre backs applying any pressure. However, he dragged his shot wide, a huge let off.
That wouldnt stop Tring for breaching Leightons defence for a 4th time.
Captain, Dave Murphy with an out of character mistake meant Tring were allowed to break forward in numbers once more. The ball was fired across goal and Elliott Goward finished with ease making it 4, 20 minutes into the game.
Cheers rang out from the Tring fans, as they were certain this was heading for a cricket score.
Everyone was looking at Danny Nicholls waiting for him to change something or sort his team out and he tried to do just that.
A double change saw Paolo Baggati and Brian Foulger make way for Aaron McKee and Jamie Nicholls.
The Town then went to a back 3 of Muya, Murphy and Hall.
Tom Wyant was then called into action again, twice in quick succession.
Ashton Campbell was played clean through, but Wyant was equal to the shot and parried it away and Kieran Turner blasted the rebound over.
Then, Wyant pulled off a sensational acrobatic save to deny a Tring midfielder. The Leighton Shot-stopper palmed the ball away magnificently to keep the score line at 4.
Wyants hard work couldnt stop it being 5-0 at half time.
Ashton Campbell made it 5 with a right footed drive into the bottom left corner, meaning Leighton would need 6 second half goals to take all 3 points at Cow Lane.
A simply disgraceful first half performance from Leighton Town.
The second half would mean playing for pride and trying to keep the score line down.
But after 3 second half minutes, the score line was increased again.
Elliott Goward fired home from the left side of the box to the bottom right corner, to take even the smallest dream of a comeback away from Leighton.
Minutes ticked by very slowly as the Town struggled to string 2 passes together and Tring looked more and more likely to score again.
Aaron McKee slipped on the half way line which meant Ashton Campbell had a huge opportunity for a hat-trick. Tom Wyant stood in his way and he made a great save to deny Campbell. Goward then followed up with a shot that struck the Town post. Luckily, it was still only 6-0.
Tring then made 2 changes one of them, Ashton Campbell coming off for Tommy Twelves.
Denilson Silva was also replaced by the energetic Dom Marsala, returning from injury.
Tom Wyant then made 2 more fantastic stops, despite conceding 7 goals on Saturday afternoon, he was for me, Leightons man of the match, making so many great saves to keep the score line below double figures. Well played Tom.
Tring made their final change of the afternoon with Kieran Turner coming off.
On the 70th minute mark, the unthinkable happened.
Leighton scored! Great work from Lewis McBride on the right hand side allowed him to drive into the box. He squared for Tom Bryant, who adjusted his feet quickly and opened up a yard of space to allow him a chance to shoot. He took that chance and Leighton made it 6-1, with 20 minutes to go, taking away the clean sheet from Tring, which can be one of the only positives from the game.
Tom Wyant then denied Tommy Twelves from a low drive and Elliott Goward from a header.
Tring had one final opportunity to make it 7 and they took it.
Substitute Tommy Twelves fired past Wyant from the left hand side of the box, meaning that the game would end, 7-1 to Tring Athletic.
Theres bad days at the office and then theres that.
The Town were simply nowhere near good enough on this occasion and theres no way of dressing the performance up to make it sound like we were unlucky, the score line speaks for itself.
Its not every day that you lose 7-1 and your goalkeeper is man of the match.
Nicholls and his team go again next Saturday, with a trip to highly rated Arlesey Town, to try and claw back some pride after Saturdays humiliation and to see some familiar faces from last season.
To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com