Tue 11th Sep 2018
League Challenge Trophy - 1st Round
Sponsored by Barry Simmons
TAFC First team 3-1 London Colney

TAFC goals: Jack Read, Ben Johnson, Ashton Campbell

Athletic entertained London Colney in this re-arranged League Challenge Trophy first round game following the floodlight failure two weeks ago.

In a thoroughly entertaining game, in wet conditions, Athletic had to come from behind to seal victory. Although Athletic started well it was London Colney who scored first after 14 minutes. From a corner the ball was cleared out to the left to an unmarked player who sent in a great cross which was met by Robert Armstrong running in to head into the goal. Score 0-1.

Just 3 minutes later Athletic equalised. A terrific cross from Ashton Campbell found Jack Read who steered his header into the corner of the goal. Score 1-1.

Athletic were in the ascendancy and were unlucky not to score again following some neat football by Kieran Turner. Although the visitors kept trying to push forward it was Athletic who continued to create the chances and eventually the pressure told. In the 36th minute Ben Johnson collected the ball well inside his own half and ran forward before playing the ball to Kieran Turner just outside of the area.
Ben carried on running forward and collected an exquisite return pass from Kieran before rifling the ball into the far corner of the goal. It was a terrific way to score his first goal for the club. Score 2-1.

London Colney were dangerous on the break but Athletic defended well which meant keeper Connor Sansom had a relatively quiet time. An entertaining first half ended with both sides having shown pace, energy and enterprise. HT Score 2-1.

The second half started with London Colney kicking down the slope.
Within a minute of the re-start keeper Connor Sansom cleared a goal bound shot with his legs. Athletic then conceded a couple of free kicks in dangerous areas after giving the ball away, but fortunately they came to nothing. Athletic came back into the game and were rewarded with a third goal in the 53rd minute.

A superb ball by Chris Vardy was played to striker Ashton Campbell who ran with the ball at exceptional speed across the pitch, avoiding several tackles before going past the keeper and firing in an unstoppable shot. Score 3-1.

With Athletic now 3 - 1 up London Colney started to assert more pressure on the home sides defence and Athletic began to concede more corners than at any other time in the game. Athletic weathered this period and then broke quickly but Kieran Turners shot was well saved by the visitors keeper. In the 83rd minute a Colney move nearly brought its reward but fortunately Sam Joliffe was on hand to clear the chance from the goal line.

A great result for Athletic against a very good side. It was good to see Doc back playing and also Chris Mason after picking up a pre-season injury. Credit to all the players for providing an entertaining game in difficult conditions and to the three officials.


TA: 1 Connor Sansom 2 Ben Johnson 3 Tommy Twelves 4 Mark Riddick(Alex Campana 61) 5 Roy Byron 6 Dave OConnor(Joe Naylor 75) 7 Jack Read 8 Sam Joliffe(c) 9 Ashton Campbell 10 Kieran Turner 11 Chris Vardy(Chris Mason 70).

LC: 1 Sonny-Ryan-Sheed 2 Josh Cliss 3 Daniel Westmore 4 Zach Holding 5 Robert Armstrong(c)(Nathan Dimmack 69) 6 Robert Steedman (Joe Reynolds 54) 7 Joe Price 8 Robert Banks 9 Junior Adeye 10 Elliott Beevor(Loren Maxwell 54) 11 Jacob Noonan.


TA: Jack Read (17), Ben Johnson (36), Ashton Campbell (53)

LC: Robert Armstrong (14)

Crowd: 55

(No photos on file)

To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com