Sat 17th Nov 2018
London Colney 0-3 TAFC First team

TAFC goals: Ashton Campbell (2), Mark Riddick

Athletic maintain top spot in the league following goals from Mark Riddick (32) and two goals from Ashton Campbell (65)(70).

Athletic nearly opened the score within a minute of the start of the game when a poor back pass fell to Ashton Campbell, his shot however hit the post and was then cleared by some desperate defending. The home side's Channing Campbell-Young had an excellent chance in the 14th minute but his shot flew well over the bar from outside of the penalty area.

Both sides were finding it difficult to control the ball at times due to the uneven bounce, although Athletic had a good period when they won three corners in quick succession. Home keeper Jack Metcalfe saved one handed in the 21st minute following a shot from Ashton Campbell after good build up work from Alex Campana. Colney hit back with their strikers finding space between Athletics midfield and defenders which resulted in Athletic conceding a couple of corners and giving away free kicks in dangerous areas.

In the 31st minute Athletics Mark Riddick headed just over the bar from a Chris Mason cross. Mark was not to be denied however as a minute later, from an Elliott Goward corner, he powered a header into the net. Play became disjointed, both sides were guilty of giving the ball away and conceding free kicks.

Half time:London Colney 0-1 TAFC

London Colney nearly equalised at the start of the second half when Joe Reynolds found himself in acres of space, he struck a shot from distance which Patrick Sinfield managed to push around the post for a corner.

Athletic came straight back when Ashton Campbell was played through,but again keeper Jack Metcalf saved well. The keeper saved superbly again from Ashton in the 57th minute when a pass by Kieran Turner found him. Tring then brought on their first substitute and it was a welcome back to the club of former player Lee Stubbs.

In the 65th minute Athletic scored a vital second goal. Kieran Turner, with the ball at his feet, took on defenders to the left of the area before playing the ball across the goal where Ashton Campbell was totally unmarked and had the simplest of chances of tapping the ball into an open goal.

Colney then had a couple of opportunities when Elliot Beevor shot wide under pressure and then following a corner having chances blocked by some desperate Athletic defending. With 20 minutes left Athletic sealed the game. The home side conceded a free kick,the ball was sent across field finding Kieran Turner who in turn passed to Ashton Campbell, he stepped round a defender and shot towards goal,the ball took a slight deflection but it could not prevent the it from entering the goal.

Although Athletic were three nil up they continued to concentrate and defend well as Colney did not give up. Tring did have a chance to extend their lead when Kieran Turner shot from the edge of the area forcing yet another terrific save from the keeper.

Full time:London Colney. 0- 3 TAFC

Another great result for Athletic,although the home side had a few chances, it was home keeper Jack Metcalf who was the busier of the two keepers, he brought off some exceptional saves and denied Ashton Campbell at least three times.

London Colney:Jack Metcalfe,Jack Mace,Dan Westmoore,Joe Reynolds (c),Bobby Armstrong,Zack Holding,Joe Price,Channing Campbell-Young,Loren Maxwell,Kambo Smith,Elliot Beevor,Ben Zequiri.

TAFC:Patrick Sinfield,Joe Fitzgerald,Chris Mason,Mark Riddick,Carl Mensah(Chris Crook 83),Tommy Twelves,Roy Byron,Elliott Goward(Kyle Johnson 70),Ashton Campbell,Kieron Turner(c),Alex Campana(Lee Stobbs 62).


(No photos on file)

To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com