Sat 4th Aug 2018
SSML Premier Division
Sponsored by Debbie & Will Dunstan
TAFC First team 2-0 Baldock Town

TAFC goals: Ashton Campbell, Kieran Turner

On a scorching hot afternoon we opening the new league season with another impressive home win against newly promoted Baldock Town.

With a number of exciting new players on display we created a couple of early chances before taking the lead after just 14 minutes. A superb cross field pass by Chris Vardy fell to Kieran Turner whose shot was parried by Adam Harpur, but unfortunately for the keeper the ball dropped behind him and new striker Ashton Campbell easily opened his account for the Club. Score 1-0.

We continued to create chances and a great cross by Alex Campana should have resulted in a goal but the ball somehow eluded everyone. Little was seen of the visitors attack thanks to our hard working defence with the only threat coming from a couple of free kicks. Baldock's first corner was after 24 minutes and their first shot, in the 26th minute, was well wide.

In the 28th minute Alex Campana went on a great run beating several players but his shot went over the bar. Rightly the referee allowed a drinks break in both halves and we continued to press for a second goal without success. Keeper Mark Richardson had very little to do during the first half with no shots on target. HT Score 1-0.

Athletic began the second half on the front foot and an intricate move down the left saw Alex Campanas cross just evade the incoming Ashton Campbell. We won a couple of early corners and it was no surprise when we eventually scored again. Hard working Luke Dunstan collected the ball in midfield then fed Kieran Turner who cut inside and shot across keeper Adam Harpur to put us 2-0 ahead in the 59th minute. That was Kieran's third goal from the opening two games since returning from a spell at Kings Langley. Score 2-0.

In the 67th minute another excellent move down the left saw a pinpoint Alex Campana cross find the head of Chris Vardy but his header went straight at the keeper. In the 73rd minute Baldock again came under pressure and were fortunate to scramble the ball away following some good work by Ashton Campbell. Both sides introduced substitutes in the demanding conditions.

We thought we had scored a third goal but the referee blew for a push on a defender. Elliot Goward's shot in the 83rd minute brought a save from the visiting keeper resulting in a corner from which Carl Mensah's header was easily gathered by keeper Adam Harpur. Still we continued to push forward creating opportunities right up to the final whistle. FT Score 2-0.

This was an excellent result and start to the new season against a very useful side. All the players played their part, working very hard in daunting conditions. Our next game will be at home against local rivals Leverstock Green in the league on Tuesday night followed by another home game on Saturday when newly promoted Berkhamsted are the visitors for an FA Cup game.


TA:1 Mark Richardson 2 Joe Fitzgerald 3 Connor Church 4 Mark Riddick(Capt) 5 Dave O'Connor (12 Sam Joliffe 63) 6 Carl Mensah 7 Alex Campana 8 Luke Dunstan 9 Ashton Campbell 10 Kieran Turner (14 Roy Byron 81) 11 Chris Vardy (15 Elliot Goward 72) Subs not used: 16 James Butler 17 Ben Johnson.

BT:1 Adam Harpur 2 Stephen Brooks 3 Josh Furness 4 Dean Gilbert 5 Liam Kenna (Cat) 6 Alex Coppin 7 Owen Robertson 8 Lewis Barker 9 Harry Holland (Alfie Barker 65) 10 Sean Brettell (Kieran Barnes 53) 11 Zach Decker (Jack Bendon 73). Subs not used: Dion Gibbs, Myles Lee


TA:Ashton Campbell (14), Kieran Turner (59)


To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com