Sat 16th Sep 2017
Spartan South Midlands Premier Division
Sponsored by Tony Stedman
TAFC First team 0-2 Biggleswade United
Athletic were looking for a change of fortune and to kick start their season with their first league win of the season,but it was not to be following this defeat against old rivals Biggleswade United.

The game started with Athletic kicking down the slope and they forced three corners in the first 9 minutes.The last of these corners saw defender James Butlers header saved low down on the goal line by visiting keeper Robbie Ponting.Athletic were having most of the play but were unable to create any further chances until the 23rd minute when striker Chris Vardys shot was easily saved.Uniteds first opportunity,following a corner,was a shot in the 33rd minute which flew over the bar.The remainder of the first half was fairly even,although Uniteds Dami Nickels-Benson nearly scored in the 41st minute following some neat football down the right.Athletic had put a lot of work into the half and strung a number of good moves together only to be let down by the final pass.

Half Time: 0 0

United started the second half by winning a corner, however Athletics Jack Read was put through in the 53rd minute but saw his shot saved by the keepers legs resulting in a corner.Just 3 minutes later United took the lead in controversial circumstances.A shot from outside of the area was heading towards defender James Butler,as he shaped to clear the ball he stumbled,the ball hit his hands low down in front of him,the referee decided it was deliberate thus awarding a penalty and booking the defender.Uniteds Nick Elliot scored from the spot.Athletics Ryan Sturges then had a great chance to equalise but again the keeper managed to parry the shot for a corner.From the corner United broke quickly and home keeper Jack Hopwood had to pull off a great save to keep Athletic in the game.Both sides introduced substitutes,there appeared to be a number of obvious fouls the officials missed,possibly resulting in the referee then issuing several yellow cards.Following a free kick James Butler had another header saved by the keeper in the 81st minute.With just 6 minutes left United scored to put the result beyond Athletic.From a corner the ball was cleared,the ball went straight to the unmarked, unchallenged Dami Nickels-Benson outside of the area who had time to pick his spot.

Athletic had created a number of chances throughout the game but unfortunately without any luck and with visiting keeper Robbie Ponting pulling off a few excellent saves.

Full Time: Tring Athletic 0 2 Biggleswade United

Crowd: 82

TAFC: Jack Hopwood,Ben Johnson,Jack Seaton(Sam Joliffe 71),Mark Riddick(Max Hercules 71),Dan Steadman(c),James Butler,Ryan Sturges,Ronnie Blagdon,Chris Vardy,Jack Read(Chris Blunden),Luke Dunstan.

Biggleswade United:Robbie Ponting,Dami Nickels-Benson,Kane Farrell,James Cooper,Matt Cooper(c),Nick Elliott,Jaiden Irish,Ricky Christie(Matt Clarke 70),Charlie Black,Jay Taylor,Alix Girdlestone.
To advertise here, email tringathleticfc at hotmail dot com